Sunday, November 8, 2009

Geminus

Yup. That's the title.
When I named it I had in mind the word 'Gemini', or 'twins', but I wanted a single one, a 'twin'. So I called it Geminus, thinking that sounded plausible as the singular form.
Then I Wikipedia'd the word 'geminus' and came up with some Greek astronomer from waaay back, and thought: "Hmmmm. That can't be good."
Then I tried Wikipedia'ing the word 'twins' and got a lot of poop about identical twins, non-identical twins, even half twins (which I would have thought an impossibility. Apparently not), which is all very interesting in a purely biological sense, but doesn't really help me any.
Anyway, long story short: by hopping through a few disambiguation links I eventually found this definition of the word Geminus on Wiktionary.
So I'd gotten it right all along. Which is a relief since I don't have a single idea what else to call this book.

Word count: 18K and rising *yay*
Synopsis: later, guys

1 comment:

Cidermaker said...

Did Latin at Uni and geninus, as a singular, is very unusual. The construction, "one of twins" is more common. I suspect that geminus is a late Latin or even medieval usage. I'll try & chase it up.