Friday, January 25, 2008

To Edit Or...?

Well.

On the one hand I'm doing all right with my self-imposed monthly word count: I've written approximately 12200 words this month (not counting the 1400 still being considered), so I should reach my target with no excessive perspiration.

On the other hand there's a fairly big chunk at the beginning that I now realise needs some serious rewriting.

But the thing is, the 15000 per month is gross. Which means it has to be relative to the overall word count. So if I start to rewrite the beginning the stuff I write will be cancelled out by the stuff I erase. In other words, it won't make much of a dent on the word count. It might, in fact, decrease it! (oh horror! oh woe!)

Okay, I know it should be about quality, not quantity. But for the purpose of getting the story written in the first place quantity is the better yardstick for me.

So I guess the thing to do is wait until I've fulfilled this month's quota, then start the rewrite in a separate document so I can just copy-paste it once my word count is high enough to let me get away with it.

Sneaky.

No comments: